Introduction
It is important for practitioners to
develop spiritually, psychologically, and physically because of the nature of
their work. They are charged with the responsibility of the well-being and
lives of others. Think of it this way. If you were consulting a book to help
you learn how to do something or to solve a problem, would you just pick any
book? No, you would want the most credible and well-rounded source of
information. Practitioners need to develop all areas of themselves because they
must also lead by example. If you had a morbidly obese doctor telling you to
lose weight, how would that message be received? Wouldn’t it seem hypocritical?
If you are a very religious or spiritual person and it is important to your
health, are you likely to work well with a practitioner who doesn’t value the
relationship and importance of spirituality and its connection to integral
health?
In order to achieve the goals I have for
myself, I need to work on the spiritual and physical hurdles that I am faced
with. I have some extra weight that I have been trying to lose since the birth
of my second child. Overcoming weight gain is a personal experience that I can
draw from to be supportive to the patients I work with. I also need to be able
to cope better with stress. Stress is a huge part of life. I can’t escape from
it. I must learn how to deal with it. If I am self-destructing from all of the
stress and pressure of life, then how can I possibly help others?
Assessment
Assessing my health and well-being in
each area makes me face things about myself that I wish to change. I have
meditated and reflected on these domains to gain an understanding of my current
level of health and well-being. Spiritually I give myself an 8 because I wish
to learn and discover more to broaden my knowledge and understanding of this
important domain. Physically I give myself a 7. I am not in the best shape of
my life, but I am taking steps to lose weight and improve my physical health. I
have already seen an increase in my energy level and the connection that they
physical and mental have to each other. Psychologically I rate myself a 7. I am
faced with a lot of stress and obstacles in my current situation, but I am also
finding positive outlets and coping strategies.
Goal Development
Spiritually my personal goal is to take
more time for myself to discover and learn more. I am a very spiritual person
but feel that there is so much more to learn.
My mental health goal is to continue my
meditation to combat my shortcomings in dealing with stress. Successful implantation
of stress management is crucial for my well-being.
My physical goal is to continue working
on my weight loss goal. Achieving my goal weight will bring me better health
and more energy. I need my health to be successful in life.
Practices for Personal
Health
To foster growth in the psychological domain,
I am working on stress management techniques. These techniques include
meditation, focus on deep breathing, be present in the moment, reach out for
social support, keeping tuned into the signals that my body is sending to me,
laughter, music, and exercise (10 Relaxation Techniques That Zap Stress Fast,
2014).
To foster growth in the physical domain,
I am implementing visualization as a technique. I picture the thinner, more
attractive me that I want to be. I visualize how being physically fit will make
me a better mom and give me more energy to accomplish the demands of everyday
life. I am also using yoga to help me improve my flexibility and physical
health.
To foster growth in the spiritual
domain, I am allowing myself more time for self-discovery. Spirituality is very
important to me, and I haven’t nurtured that side of me as much as I have
wanted to. Meditation has also been a huge resource in this area. I use
meditation to focus on me and shut the world out for a few minutes. Loving
kindness is another source of inspiration. I draw on the love and support I get
from my family and my love for them.
Commitment
I am making a commitment to track my
progress by continuing on with this blog. I can use this blog as a forum to
track my failures and successes and to hopefully draw on the personal
experiences of my peers. I firmly believe in the power of personal experience.
Having ta blog to give me access to social support as well as allow me to
provide support to others is vital to my success in all domains. In six months
I can review my blogs and evaluate the progress I have made in each domain. Long
term success will depend on my willingness to be a lifelong student. The health
and wellness field is ever changing and evolving. One must constantly be open
to learning new techniques and treatment options.
References
10
Relaxation Techniques That Zap Stress Fast (2014). In Webmd. Retrieved
December 16, 2014, from
http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/blissing-out-10-relaxation-techniques-reduce-stress-spot
Erica you made so many points that I can agree with. I too have been looking into ways to deal with stress management, and more recently, anxiety. Since I've been in this class I have put myself into free counseling class on base and looked up some yoga studios in the area. The number one hurdle I had to overcome was finding the time to attend these sessions. It was causing me more stress to continuously cancel and move the counseling appointments. As for the yoga classes, I am still working those in with my schedule. The last thing I would like to acknowledge in your blog is that I can relate to your frustrations of wanting to loose weight,because that is one of my goals as well. My boyfriend and I have come up with a friendly contest between the 2 of us where we want to see who looses the most weight and tones up the most. The loser (contest ends 3/15/15) has to take the winner out to eat, treat them to a spa day and give them a gift card. I think sometimes it helps us reach our goals when we have someone to help hold us accountable and give us a nudge to keep us going. I wish you luckk in your psychological, spiritual and physical goals in addition to your educational and career pursuits.
ReplyDelete